Saturday, April 6, 2013

LDS General Conference April 2013 Saturday Afternoon

What I learned from conference:

Richard G. Scott
"Deep inside each of us is a need for a place of refuge...to reset, regroup, re-energize, for future pressures. This place is inside our own homes." Before I began watching conference, I prayed that I would receive revelation and learn what I needed to. One thing I prayed for was a solution to stress. I think this talk might have been an answer to my prayer. This talk is also a way to bring the Spirit into my home. I am grateful for these messages as I am about to return home.

"You can center your home and your life on the Lord, Jesus Christ." There is peace and serenity in this. Fundamental principles to center your life on Christ are daily, personal and family scripture study and family home evening. Beams of a Christ-centered home. 


"Seemingly insignificant transgressions or neglect can lead to a big problem,..daily habits can lead to bountiful blessings,"  This is a reminder to not let little things go. I am reminded of the book, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. Maybe this book only applies to worldly worries. We should pay attention to little things that take the spirit away. 

"Used with discipline, technology can be a tool of protection. Conference messages are now in your pocket. Study, ponder, and listen to them during quiet moments each day will enhance the spirit," This means a lot to me as I have begun to develop this habit in my life. Scott continued to say, "Memorized passages can be a powerful source of inspiration from the Holy Ghost during times of need," I can see how remembering a helpful scripture in trials could be beneficial. 

"When we obey the commandments and serve others the natural consequence is power from God. His power is a fundamental part of making your home a place of peace. Friends will be drawn to the serenity of your home. One of the greatest blessings we can offer to the world is a Christ-centered home. Be a true friend. It fills the pot-holes of life. Welcome into your home others who need to be strengthened by such an experience."



"We need to trust in the Lord and his timing that our prayers will be answered. Some things must be left to the lord. Recognize the good in others, not their stains. Don't worry if we can't do all the things the Lord has counseled us to do simultaneously. He will direct us in what should be emphasized at each phase in our lives. We can learn, grow, and become like him one step at a time."

Stanley G. Ellis

Tearfully, Ellis quoted the first article of faith and exclaimed, "We are not spiritual orphans." . God shows us not a way, but the way...to love, to help, to lead, to learn, to know the truth, and to share the Gospel. 

In these days every man walks in his own ways. Do things the Lord's way. The Lord said, "It must needs be done in my way."The Lord has the way. The way is based on eternal truth and leads us to peace on this Earth and eternal life in the life to come.


John B. Dickson

"Africans have very little of that what matters least and a lot of that what matters most." 

This simple statement says so much. I am reminded to shift my goals for gaining worldly possessions to becoming a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment